I know many of you are wondering why such a nag (above) was posted amid a stable of thoroughbreds ... but there was a special reason.

I bought the knife, discovered the condition and after examining it and lots of thought, I returned it. It has now been re-posted on e-bay and sold.

But this knife had some strange and special qualities. Note the condition of the blade... no rust, no pitting, dispite the gouge on one side, dings, dints and obviously heavy use. Also note the marks showing attempts to sharpen the blade, without sucess.

I am 99 percent certain this is a stainless blade ... but not marked as stainless. But there is more.

I have heard that there were some RMK stainless blades that were not marked. At least one was shown by Joe on "this old Randall" line. This knife has a serious gouge on the side opposite the logo ... and I am pretty sure a name or initials were crudely removed, one can almost make them out.

This knife then, might be one of a very few that had an unmarked stainless blade... AND... initials (at one time) etched on the opposite side... something that was not supposed to have been produced.

Too bad it was so wrecked, because this knife as seen some exotic use...and has a real veteran history... oh if it could talk. Also one reason I returned it is that I thought there may have been some efforts to disguise the gouge. It looked like the name-initials were removed long ago... by probably using a chisel. But there was a more recent attempt to smooth out the trench using a polishing drill. You may be able to see what I'm talking about by noting the lighter colored markes at the ends of the "trench." The polishing drill hardly was able to mark the stainless blade much... but I'm not a fan of disquised flaws.

Edited by Jacknola (09/25/11 06:48 PM)