Here is another #2-8” I purchased this week. It fits my taste, obviously beat-the-heck-up, old, carried extensively, probably/possibly in Vietnam (all Randalls actually carried in the field in Vietnam were pretty cruddy and beat up in short order, and the sheaths were frequently blackend and slick and shiny from embedded sweat and dirt on the back).

Once again, this logo almost looks etched... no stamp indent visible... and though it is not marked as such, I want to check the steel... it almost as a stainless feel to it... probably not though. Did Randall ever make a stainless knife that was not marked?

But it also is a lesson about buying when pictures are not so good. The two-tone stone was apparently broken and then epoxyed together, and some name or lettering was very crudely ground off the blade from the side opposite the logo.

Neither of these flaws were shown in the pictures… I actually like the poor baby orphan knife that obviously has a lot of real history... It's like a lost puppy that needs tender loving care.

But I’m thinking of sending it back because the flaws were not pointed out or pictured. I am attracted to interesting pieces of history. I don’t mind the grinding off a name … it was pretty common in Vietnam … new troop in country, buys or trades for a knife from a guy going out … grind his name off. But I do mind the price when these things were not made evident in the sale. The next couple of days, we’ll see if I can live with it.

Regards, Jack Williams

PS: The seller apparently does not deal much in knives as he has no others for sale... he apparently deals in antique brass, metal stuff, statuettes, etc. So to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he just didn't notice the damage. We'll see.

Edited by Jacknola (09/15/11 01:32 AM)