Rod,
I have seen many examples of 7 spacer Randall knives made after 1972, even into the 1980's. Most were requested by the customer to match their other knives (knife) etc. This was not an uncommon practice, as were many other "oddities" that simply do not happen today. I'd like to have all of the "one ofs" I have let slip through my fingers over the years (hind-sight).
Having said that, take a look at the "other" way-cool features about Rod's knife:
A) Seperate "S"
B) Unlined wrist thong hole
C) Old black micarta stock
D) Old handle shape (at the butt)
E) Stone pocket on a 5-4??
Excellent example of a Randall knife that folks will spout out "They never made that"...and be dead wrong. Thanks for sharing Rod. This knife and photos needs to go in the "This old Randall" thread as well.
One quick thing that should be pointed out is that, although it is the hallmark of books on Randall knives, not everything in "print" should be taken as Gospel. Even Bob Gaddis would tell you that. Just because a knife wasn't featured (or added to) the Randall catalog doesn't mean that many were not made prior to that date. In fact, a great many Randall knives had a good run before entering the catalog.
Great topic...Capt. Chris

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (07/18/11 11:36 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com