Sounds like an engineer to me...The #18 tube handles, knurled or not, along with the butt caps are contracted to an outside maching shop. The same goes for the slotted micarta...not done "in house".
The numbers vary hugely depending on what's being done by whom each and every week. I believe 16 craftsmen do the lion's share of the knifemaking.
There are most certainly several among the crew that can make a knife...from start to finish. This is not the practice however. If one man is better, faster, etc. at shaping handles, etc. it only makes sense that he does so. They do alternate (shift, if you will) from time to time. I suppose this cuts down on the boredom and complacency.
Scott can certainly address the "numbers" if he thinks it is appropriate. There are 2 rooms that the majority of the knifemaking occur, once the blades leave the forge. The main room and the fourteen room.
Hope this helps...somewhat.
Best, Capt. Chris
PS: Jason Randall and Scott Maynard are responsible for final edging, sheath fitting, and packing/shipping...(among "other" things)...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com