Twin-bro just sent me a msg. I can't repeat Afghan portion, but here are a couple of story lines:

"-- Second, check out the "sheen" on the back side of my sheath. Any knife, just like a carpet, which has actually been worn in the field will have that sheen."

"-- Third, a story from a mission 30 km north of Ban Don on the Dar Lac Plateau...high and flat and lightly wooded, you walked it in a day. A 'yard asked if he could borrow my Randall. I gave it to him. He cut a rope and looked at me as if he couldn't believe how easy it was.

"Next thing I knew he was hacking up bamboo on a stone for some reason, leaving dents in the edge. I was horrified. We were setting up an ambush on a high speed trail, rain was misting down, and here was my Randall with dents!

"He saw my expression, took the knife and hand ground it on a stone..just an ordinary stone, till the dents were gone...edge was gone too..but who cared in the end after the ambush and firefight that night which brought a spooky over us; claymores going off, 60mm mortars, and the burp and long red fingers of the spooky (puff the magic dragon) reaching down like the hand of god."

Gene Williams, 23 Aug 2010

Edited by Jacknola (08/25/10 11:08 AM)