Below is a hand-made Montagnard knife… typical… wooden sheath… compared with Randall 14.

Re: Why did Special Forces have such an institutional requirement for Randalls? No particular reason except that it was a SF cult thing… unrelated to length of service in Vietnam. Anywhere in the world, Randalls and SF went together ... like SF and Rolex, or SF and star safire ring, or SF and green beanie (never worn in field except for photo ops), or SF and a WWII BAR belt for field equipment, or Vn SF and boy-scout scarf (but not earrings, bandanas, do-rags, fringe, LRP-type posturing stuff), etc.

You either had a Randall or you wanted one… no one gave a hoot about other knives. Actually the knives themselves were rarely used for much more than opening rations, etc. BUT… a Randall was something you were just supposed to have….

Re: Ka-bar, issue knives, etc. Honestly, I don’t think I ever saw a knife issued by the US Army. I don’t even think they did it… maybe Marines, or somewhere, or maybe the supply boys in the rear got them, but no one I knew was ever “issued” a knife of any kind. The same goes for M-16 bayonets, etc. Never saw one, never wanted one, didn't know anyone who had one.

Photo art… This is just a nice combo of good stuff.

I tried to create a picture in my backyard showing why I quit carrying knife on front of BAR belt...bad picture... oh well. Keep in mind that the change was environmentally caused... the idea seems to be good in principle. Maybe in more open terrain... Regards...

Edited by Jacknola (08/25/10 02:54 PM)