I was in the 5th Special Forces in Vietnam, 1967-end 1968. In early 1967, ordered a type 14 Randall. My knife was delivered after about a 9 month wait just before I left for Vietnam. I think it had a Solingen blade though it may have been carbon (lots of discussion about it at the time... cost was about $65 or so... about 1/2 months pay), and I think I had my name on one side. Why do I “think?”… because leaving Vietnam a hand carry bag with my Randall, 12 rolls of film, many keepsakes including 9mm pistol that was “lost” or stolen.

I can never replace the mementos. But… after the passage of 40 plus years, I decided to buy another Randall… not necessarily as a collector (I collect far too many things now), but more for the memory. So… I bought this one. It looks like a reasonable facsimile to the one I took to Vietnam except without the Solingen blade. (Note: Viet-period Special Forces REQUIRED personal artifacts: Randall knife, Rolex watch, star-saphire ring, engraved Zippo lighter, Montagnard brass bracelet).

I apologize about the pedestrian nature of this knife, compared to some of the beauties displayed in this line. From the picture does a provenance of late-1960s, early-1970s seem reasonable? Thanks for any feedback, and thanks for the beautiful creations displayed.

Edited by Jacknola (08/17/10 11:59 PM)