It is true that the .270 can be formed by necking down a 30-06 case but the result will be brass that is an I/8" short, but they work OK. When deer hunting, I use necked down Lake City military 30-06 brass so as to save my good commercial brass.
I wasn't aware that the .270 was ever a wildcat; my information was that it was originally introduced as a factory cartridge by Winchester in 1923.

Now Capt Stanaback I have no problem with your choice of the 30-06 it is the second longest owned rifle I've had, and is still in the family. To limit the comparison of the 30-06 and the .270 by only looking at 130 grain bullets, is a bit unfair. I could say the 270 is a great varmint rifle with 100 grn bullets (mine is) and the 30-06 isn't so the 30-06 can't do every thing the .270 can.
It's all a matter of opinion and what works for you and your hunting.

Your thread asks "what caliber of person are you"?
I admit it I'm a wimp I like my .270 Ladies gun and I’ll use it to hunt any animal in Australia including a water buffalo or a bull camel. The .30-06 would be better choice. My .338 would be a wiser choice. But I’d still feel comfortable behind my .270. I’d draw the line at one those North American brown bears though

PS I like little knives also.

Edited by Ausblade (04/24/09 01:59 AM)