270 Winchester will be covered also, over time...but I have never, I repeat "never" liked it. It's like kissing your sister.
A 270 Win. cannot and will not do anything a 30-06 cannot do, but the opposite most certainly cannot be said. The 270 Win, was originally a "wildcat" created by necking down the (you guessed it) 30-06 Springfield. It is most accurate and in it's element with bullet weights of 130 gr. or so. I can do that with my '06.
Alright: Come on all of you "Ladies gun" shooters. Tell me how wrong I am. Jack O'Connor made the 270 famous, but I'll stick with Dr. Frank Barnes. O.K. My rant is over. I really will bring up the 270 Winchester topic later.
My favorite calibers, having shot a bunch, will be told in due time, and they are numerous. I guarantee one of them is "not" the 270. A lot of folks like them. To each his own. That's why rifle and ammo companies make more than one caliber.
Best, Capt. Chris
P.S. We still have a few states that require 7mm or larger bullets for deer. A 270 measures .277 inches, not .284 (7 mm)...CCS
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com