When I did the original drawing for what was to become The Gambler, it was to have a 5 inch blade. When I sent Gary the final drawing, the page had three different configurations of the proposed Gambler ... including a full tapered tang version with slab handles. I scaled down the three drawings to fit on one page. Though the sketches were clearly marked designating a 5 inch blade, the knife in scaled down drawing presented a 3-1/2 inch blade. Several months later I got a package from the shop. Inside were three "Mini-Gamblers" all decked out with a concave ivorite handle and a scalloped cap and collar. It seems that Gary liked the scaled down size with the 3-1/2 inch blade better than my full sized 5 inch model. As we now know he did make the large one as well and a few weeks later I had three of them, one of which is pictured below. This image also shows the model #10-5" sheath which was furnished with the early Gamblers. That's how the Gambler came to be offered, for a time, in two blade lengths. During the time both the large Gambler and the "mini" were being made, the smaller size outsold the larger by almost 5 to 1 making the 5 inch version much less common.

Attachments
39899-1Gambler_edited-1.jpg (681 downloads)