Jesse, thanks for keeping this great thread going.

Of the smaller Randalls the GTR is definately my favorite. This plain elephant ivory handled GTR is a user and shortly I intend to have it checkered to be even more utilitarian, but plain ivory handled knives have been used for many years and have always been considered a very useful as well as wonderfully attractive and pleasently tactile material.

Chief Joseph, Chief of the Nes Pierce was done by French Canadian scrimshander Gatean Beauchamp, a talented artist and custom knifemaker who resides in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The engraving was done by Ron Skaggs in pure silver hardware from my shop. This was one of the very earliest silver hardwared knives done as is shown by the very thick spacers which, in the old days I used to hand shape and sand from 1 ozt planchets. If you run accross any Randalls and can't quite figure out why the spacers are so thick, you have a Randall with very early hand made silver fittings. The ivory is mammoth ivory which is a bit unusual since most of the time it peels its layers off like an onion and is not often used as handle material other than as scales on full tang knives.

The full color horned owl on this GTR was scrimshawed by our own Rick Bowles. One of the earliest Bowles scrimshawed knives in my collection and done for me in the early 90's.

Sorry about the closeup of the scrimshaw being a bit overexposed. I really should spend some money for a good digital camera or use more outdoor natural lighting for my pictures but we don't see the sun all that much in this part of the world.

The striper on this GTR was also done by the best of the best: Rick Bowles on a piece of fossil walrus. Unusual in that it grew a short crack near the hilt after the knife was made, although to me that in no way dimishes the very fine esthetic appeal of the knife.

All images copyright © 2008. All rights reserved.

Regards, Doug
RKS#1835
silverknife1@aol.com
NRA Life Member