Thanks, Dubie!

Dale: Good question and another interesting part of the story. The gentleman had picked up the knife a number of year before without a sheath. He had cut out the back pocket of a pair of Levis, wrapped the blade in that and then just stuck that "package" in the back pocket of the pair of Levis he was wearing! As luck would have it I had picked up a period sheath a couple of months earlier: An e-bay seller had put up a mismatched WWII Hunter with a 5 5/8" blade and a sheath accomodating a 7" blade. Although he put photos of both the knife and sheath in each auction he was selling the knife and sheath separately. I got the sheath but not the knife:

The sheath was the earliest Heiser I had ever seen made for a Hunter. Only these very earliest Heiser sheaths did not have the "edge trimming" around the stone pocket flap and the other unsewn edges including the retainer strap. You can see a few of these in Hunt's books. This one also has oversized painted buttons and is set up for right side carry ("Edge down" carry as Mr. Gaddis would say") which is unusual for a pre 'mid '46 Heiser sheath). In any event I would be hard pressed to find a better fit.