Quote:

To wit: Joe or Mitchell could mention something unusual about their knives such as the 'Double S' blade stamp, indicating that that particular blade stamping method was introduced in 1963, phased out by early 1964, with residual blade stock exhausted over the course of the next several years - or, that the 'Separate S' blade stamp, introduced in 1967, when seen with a 'Seven Spacer' black Micarta handle indicates a production era ending in 1972...

Respectfully submitted...

Yep, should have posted more information.

The first 2-5 in the high ride sheath is early 70's.

Second 2-5 in the riveted sheath is late 60's early 70's.

Third knife with the "SS" stamp is circa 1963/64. I don't believe this stamping was used more than 6-8 months at the most based on the number out there plus additional traits of existing examples. It was a very short window.

I will comment on Tune's 2-7 separate "S". The separate "S" superseded the low "S" stamping which was being used from 1964 into 1965 with a few examples possibly sometime in 1966. These later examples were most probably existing stampings. The low "S" stamping did not last more than a year or so, maybe 16 months at best. This information is based on extensive research by myself and input from noted collectors.

According to Pete Hamilton, the logo "S" stamp was delivered to RMK during the mid to latter part of 1969. From what I have gathered from numbers of knives so stamped, I agree. It is not uncommon however, to get a separate "S" stamped blade well into the 70's.