To that end; Dubie states in in your other thread, that the knife above was ordered (or delivered) in 1982. At first I was gonna cry foul on that date, as the sheath is a 'loose-stitch' JRB, more typical of the mid 1980's and on...

But, the spacers are right - and it's been documented that M. Johnson had purchased a second 'loose' stitching machine in the early 1970's (I wrote 'in 1974' in our book, but now believe that it was more likely by mid 1973); a stitching machine that he used infrequently on larger sheaths throughout the remainder of the 1970's and early 1980's...

Maurice did, however, use the loose stitching machine almost exclusively on the smaller sheath patterns during this period; with his son Johnny Johnson later using this machine for the majority of his sheath production, from the mid 1980's into the very early 1990's...

I digress, back to Dubie's knife & sheath...if you look at Johnson sheaths from the 1980's, you'll quickly notice that the stone pockets made by father & son have a different appearance...Maurice's are usually flat and squared like the one shown on Dubie's sheath, while Johnny's are usually more 'rounded' on top, giving the stone pocket a bowed look, on most example's seen...(I'll post an example pic later)

IMO, Dubie's 'loose stitch' Johnson roughback sheath was made in the early to mid 1980's by Maurice Johnson when his primary stitching machine was on the fritz (a recurring problem by this time), and thus matches the date given...cool knife, unusual sheath...

Edited by Chief (09/17/09 05:15 PM)