Quote:

Is the handle pinned ivory in your opinion? It sure looks like it but how often do you see this vintage of ivory that crack/check free, it usually cracks at the pin at least usually more. Also what do you think of the shape of the handle? The blade looks right to me but no trademark?
All in all more questions than answers. The kids in my neighborhood would call this "one Killer knife" pun intended.

Griff Snyder
RKS #63

Hi Griff,

IMO the knife was made by the shop and the handle is the shop's old Belgium Congo ivory. I've seen a few ivory handles that old in similar condition as well as that shape.

Quote:

Ron,
A wild guess.
Could the knife have been ordered from the shop"sterile"?
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Jim,

I think that's as good a guess as they come. There were kit knives back in the early / mid 50's that were not marked kit and there must have been a few blades that got out the back door, but these were still likely stamped with the trademark given the early stage this step is done. Prior to the Dec '53 True magazine article Bo was hurting for business and I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted an order for a sterile knife. Again, ALL speculation!