Quote:

-You're right.
I've never seen a small Model #5, so had to go back to the catalog to look! I think I like it--maybe put it on my short list to order in the future.
-Steve

Steve,
I like them very much myself. They are, in my opinion, the perfect B&T knife. I have noticed that people sometimes buy various models dependant soley upon their name. I think they should step back and look at the design/purpose for needing the knife and go from there. I have often wondered if Randall did not "name" the models, but simply "numbered" them instead, how many would buy the #8 over the #5 for a B&T knife. I personally have always used a blade that is much more narrow than the model 8, and was a bit hesitant on buying my first one. Now after I have had and used it, I love it, but still think the narrow model 5 is a good choice for this sort of thing. The names of the various models are sort of like car names, and don't really apply to their functionality... the 26 is a "pathfinder", the 27 a "Trail blazer", etc. I think if the model 5-4 was called the B&T, and the model 8 the "camp knife", people would buy the 5-4 and never think twice about it. It is a great little knife indeed.
~dale