To the best of my knowledge the collar "is" doable, providing you do not go over the 5 option limit, which you did not..in either photo shown here. I just don't know why you were told this. The fact that the #4 came through with the collar should prove it is still allowed. Sounds like a glitch somewhere. I certainly will not defend this "other" dealer, but sometimes we get letters from the Randall shop stating one thing or the other. I have reviewed all of my recent ones and I find no "authorized" change in policy, with regards to the collar.
I have told folks on this forum that I will not take special orders for more than 2 collars or nickel silver butt caps in any particular month. This is a business decision on my part and not the decision of the Randall shop. I received correspondence from the shop 3 years ago asking me (us the dealers) to try and limit these items as they slow down production time. I want to be part of the solution..not the problem. Perhaps this is what your dealer meant and the Model #4 came out on a month where they had more latitude. Best I can do...Capt. Chris
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com