It’s hard to tell from this far away Coach, BUT I’m going to describe what y’all hunters already are bound to be thinking. Looks to me like a buck scrape, especially as they frequently like ‘em under a branch like you’re describing. Which they then love to practice being ticked off and fighting that branch, frequently breaking off twigs when they do, leaving their scent on it when doing so. And then somewhere in close proximity should be rubs on the saplings around it and along the trail as they come and go. As the rut gets “ruttier”, the old boy will keep it cleaned out of leaves and sticks, check it every day (seems to me usually in pitch black night) and always take a leak in the scrape, as will his girlfriend(s) so he can sniff it to know she’s “ready”. Whenever I’ve been hunting with and educating my children, friends’ kids and other hunters about these sorts of things, I’ve always encouraged them to kneel and sniff the scrape to confirm what the liquid on a leaf is, just for the experience…..and fun. Many times I’ve added a few drops of fresh, “100%doe-in-heat” scent to increase the old boy’s interest.
Along the trail and within a clear bow, handgun or whatever shot is a great place to make a blind or tree stand.
Anyway, too much info, BUT on a beautiful fall day like today it helps me out just to put this “short version” down. Especially when I’m looking again at Tom’s recent 10 pointer. Great bow shot Tom…..all the way through and exit?
Beautiful!

Edited by Duke (10/28/22 09:44 AM)
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA