Originally Posted By: Captain Chris Stanaback
Joe,
A minute point but Gail White used at least "1" black spacer, sometimes more and I have a letter he wrote to Grady stating such and "why".
I was set up with Tom at a Miami Beach Convention Hall show where he sold a confederate, highly engraved and checkered and no "TL...or "L" or "Tom Leschorn". I'll admit he signed a bunch...but, according to Tom, a dozen or so were not.
FYI,
Capt. Chris

There you have it. Thanks Cap.

Originally Posted By: tunefink
I have an unsigned TL on my bench right now. Low S, double hilt #3 with ivory inlays on both sides.

Just sold another.... same deal, no markings.

There are MANY rehandled Randalls in the market going back as far as pre-war knives.

Perhaps, but I can't say I have seen many "pre-war" Randalls period. Most war time knives that are re-handled were done out of necessity, as in a repair. it was not a cottage industry like it has become over the past several years, of other makers altering generally newer and perfectly good knives to make a "one of a kind Randall"

You of all people should know, and have told me that you want to get new guys involved in the hobby, so it is surprising you have such a lais sez faire attitude about altered knives. I will repeat for the third or fourth time in this thread, a new guy buys an altered/re-handled knife (predominately newer production) thinking it came from the shop that way is lost probably forever. Think about his first or second foray into the collecting world only to find out later the knife is not original, yet was purchased as such. Bad ju ju.

I don't have a problem with it as long as they are marked in some fashion. Some of the guys do great work and may enhance the appearance of a plain Jane Randall for the owner, but what I am saying is folks that are doing this work with Randall knives on a regular basis, and are making GOOD money doing so, should mark their work in some fashion. Maybe honor the "understanding" with the shop that was in place? That would insure there is no grey area for the new(er) guys.

BUY-SELL-TRADE