No 250 yds. shot AT GAME for me Rocky. My longest whitetail shot took place 43 years ago when I knocked down hard a pretty big 7 pointer at 168 good steps with my open sights, set-trigger, 50 cal., TC Hawken; as a younger man with excellent eyesight. Everything since (meaning deer, turkeys and a pile of whistle pigs) with handguns, bow, modern or muzzle rifles has ranged from 20-115 yards, with 90% being 60yds. & under. Those are the shots in the VA Blue Ridge mtns. where I hunt. My 44Mag Ruger has& will always have open sights ONLY & the S&W wheelie has a RedDot zeroed at 150. The 1shot “destroyer” Contenders in 309JDJ & 300W each sport 2&7s as do the 45-70 & 44Mag (& .223). The local public ranges are 100yds. BUT I’m lucky to also have had an 800yd. range on my family’s farm for the past 30+ years. I learned long ago that pushing lead out long range, as often as I can, reduces my stress, lowers my blood pressure & my heart rate, helps me relax AND really improves my shooting. At my home range I always shoot off the same day pack that accompanies me hunting from a sitting or flat out position, same as hunting.
I do really enjoy reloading and talking powders, bullets, grains, ballistic coefficients, etc. for hours but won’t bore folks here. BUT a big part of that is knowing the calibers I shoot and if zeroed at 250 exactly how many inches low it’ll be at 275/300 OR 50 & how many high at 75 yds. etc. I do, have and will take long shots at whistle pigs, great way to keep your shooting ability and confidence up. But one huge part of deer & turkey hunting, for me, is how close can I get to make that one shot kill. I never think about my longest shotor the “quick follow-up shots”, with game. I’ve always enjoyed reading about Elmer Keith but I’ll leave to others his type of incredible long shots &/or TX heartshots that he originated (I think).
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA