I guess I follow a different drummer in water recreation. My kayak is a combination of old and new. The Klepper kayak began in Germany in the early 20th century, and continues today to outfit paddlers and sportsmen around the world. Not cheap either; new ones run about $5K-$7K.

The photos show its uniqueness. Old folks will know what an "Erector Set" was, growing up. The Klepper utilizes a birchwood plywood frame that allows the parts to snap together. The are no screws or nuts to lose.The original "skin" was a rubber hull and fabric deck sewed together to make the hull & deck as one.

I bought mine at a yard sale for about $300, coming complete with a mast, mainsail & jib. A pair of interlocking paddles completed the outfit.
The frame dates back to about 1970, so its got 50 years of use on it.

The new "skin" just arrived from Long Haul Kayaks in CO last month, and has a CSM rubber hull and vinyl-coated acrylic deck. It will hold about 700 lbs, so it will work well for camping tent and gear. The kayak weighs about 80 pounds and has a 17' length. Just right for lakes, and rivers without "rock gardens or submerged tree trunks.

Check out the Klepper videos on You Tube. Paddle/Sail on!

Attachments
------IMG_0359.jpg

Description: The original purchase laid out with sails.

------IMG_0361.jpg

Description: The ribs are numbered, so its easy to assemble everything in about 30 minutes.

------12917794-EA69-4257-BCF5-9EEFFDAF54D6.jpg

Description: The "skeleton" frame showing both halves together. To insert into the skin, the two halves are separated, then when both halves are inserted, they "come together"

------IMG_2749.jpg

Description: These are also known as "folding kayaks. All the parts and pieces fit into 3 48" canvas bags.

------IMG_2755.jpg

------IMG_2747.jpg

Description: Here you are looking at the stern.The bracket on the end holds the pivoting rudder blade, which is controlled by foot pedals that are inserted onto the floor plates.

Edited by Buck Buchanan (10/02/20 10:10 PM)
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com