I often find myself wondering if I should carry and use a knife or a gun if it's in really nice condition. Funny, because these items were built as tools to be used.

I have an older 1-7 with a really nice stag handle that had a few slight handling marks from a previous owner...I've decided to carry that one. It has the carbon steel blade, so I just did the pickle juice treatment to it. The rough back sheath that it came with was in great condition, so I mothballed that for the moment and bought a nice waxed sheath from a quality maker. I'm sure that this knife still holds some collectible value, but it also feels superb in the hand and begs to be used.

I also have a current production stainless Combat Companion that I have been using and carrying. It has become an all around camp knife / travel companion to have in hand when a solid fixed blade is needed. It was bought for that purpose and I am using it as such.

Now, for the other side of this conversation....I recently bought a Model 14 with a carbon bowie clip point blade, #1 style silver guard, stag handle, and a silver butt cap. This knife is a beautiful piece of work. I probably should not have spent the money on it, but I'm a sucker for the stag. It has a great feel to it as well, but it is still "new". Is this a model that would be collectable and worth hanging onto as a showpiece? Or, should I toss it on my gunbelt with my Colt SAA and go camping?

At what point do you guys consider a knife a tool or a collectible?