When we had our store, Cumberland Knife & Gun Works, Inc., on Bragg Blvd, about two miles from Fort Bragg, we, as Authorized Randall Dealers, did quite a bit of recoating on the military models. Back in those days, models were easy to get, about three months wait time, and we carried about fifty Models, mostly the military numbers, on hand all the time.

Since we had a blueing operation going in a backyard building, it was just natural to abide by customers wishes for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. We offered three choices, 1) Beadblast the entire knife, using aluminum beads, then resharpen it; 2) Beadblast and hot blue, then resharpen it; 3) Parkerize it, and resharpen.

Most customers opted for #1 or #2 for the price. I know we did hundreds before closing the store in '99.

But even back in the '70's through the '90's, they, obviously, were relatively expensive as they are today. To the best of my knowledge, at least at Fort Bragg, there were no Government purchases.

However, I handled a number of "group purchases" by various Special Forces A-Teams, specifically from the 3rd SF(A) & 7th SF(A) Groups. I also outfitted Seal Team One with Model 15's, custom-ordered by the C.O. (ST, SFG, Beadblasted & blued (by us), Waxed sheath).

Edited by Buck Buchanan (03/30/20 11:12 PM)
Buck Buchanan, RKCC #CM-16, RKS #1003
NRA LIFE
NMLRA LIFE
Authorized Randall Dealer
buck100_10x@icloud.com