Everything you say sounds good Larry, is true and I mostly agree with, except for my "BUTs". AND I'm very seriously afraid the opportunities you list to educate, enlighten and encourage new unfearful "gun friends" has faded into the past. Recent conversations (that have happened due to this incredible VA legislature) with good, close friends of 30-40+ years have become irrationally argumentative & angry (100% them& not me) because of their overwhelming desire to "do something about guns"; which means passing laws that "feel good"; BUT will do nothing to stop these horrible, random shootings.
100% of these friends are incredulous & shocked to hear my positions and feelings primarily because they do not really listen & HEAR my rational, calm explainations as to why they are wrong as they speak from feelings and it has nothing to do with rational problem solving.
These are the same friends who I have taken skeet, trap and target shooting, at a range or at my home, on occasions over the past 3-4 decades.
They do not understand, nor feel the same responsibility/duty/right to protect my family, my friends, or the stranger in the Wal Mart parking lot, as I feel it.
The same as I taught my children (& they witnessed) re: "there are good guys all around you.....we're just quieter until we need to make a noise." This truly gave my teenage daughter a lot of comfort when she needed it.
AND where I live it is absolutely the wrong position to be in any way "for guns" because the Va Tech shooting (& others since) happened in my back yard.
And when really caught up in their fearful, irrational arguments these same folks forget that as a professional counselor I also worked closely with the law enforcement & 1st responders because I knew those guys and they knew that they could talk to me.
I do wish I knew the answer to this problem, BUT I only know the best thing would be to slow down, rationally problem solve and not slap it with a fearful response that will turn me into a felon because I WILL NOT turn in my dad's WWII M1.
And even if I did wouldn't any of us really rather have my 10 shot Marlin lever action anyway??
Truly crazy.......& sorry to pontificate.
Duke;RKS#5567
RKCC-CM-087
Southwest VA