Originally Posted By: tomthbomb
Originally Posted By: Windsor
Underwood M1 carbine in aftermarket folding stock, ultimak rail clamped to barrel, Leupold red-dot sight on the rail.

Stupid easy to put the red triangle on the target, day or night

When I was a 10-year-old kid WWII had not been over but about 14 or 15 years. Our downtown was our playground including the Army-Navy store.

There was a plethora of WWII war surplus. I remember a barrel of M-1 Carbine folding stocks. We would grab one and run around the store pretending to fire at each other. Mr. O'Kelly was OK with that as long as we put the stocks back in the barrel before we left.

If I remember correctly the price of those stocks was $5.00.

I did have an original M-1 Carbine paratrooper I bought in a silent auction from our local historical society that had been donated by a big collector. I have since moved it on to someone that wanted it more than I did.

(warning, long story follows)

I bought this Underwood (and a couple of others) from the last CMP Great Carbine sale. By the time I got into it, all of the Service Grades were gone, so Rack Grade or worse for me. The Underwood was the last one I got, they ran dry before my "foldin' money" filled up enough to get another. When I got it, the stock was all shriveled up, like "they" (where ever it came from) packed it in dirt road dust. It even had that "dirt road dust" color.

I decided that I'll work on restoring the wood "soon" (which hasn't happened yet), but in the meanwhile get one of those cheap-ish aftermarket paratrooper stocks. After that arrived, it evolved into what it is today.

First time I took it to the range, all kinds of FTF and stove-piping. I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning, pulling funky stuff from every nook and cranny.

Next time at the range, it ran perfect, banging away with Agula ammo in 15rnd magazines with nary a problem.

For that range-day, took the BHP (Israeli Police turn-in), 1942 "byf" Luger, Hi-Standard target pistol, and this M1 Carbine. I let the two boys (now 21 and 28) and a friend of the older son have time with each. The Carbine was by far the favorite.

It would be nice to find a barrel of surplus Carbine parts again, but that market is long gone, sadly. Hell, can't even get surplus M16A1/M16A2 parts these days.