Wasn’t sure where to post this, the Lounge or here, but since I am talking about “outdoors” in a way and “bullets” …

Talk about guns has me wondering what others here carry for CCW - (those living in states where it’s possible, anyway). Virginia is still a pro-2A state for the most part.

I've never fretted too much about “stopping power.” In fact, in my car, I’ve forever kept just a little ‘80s Beretta 21-A with a 7-rd. backup magazine, wood grips, a classic little gun. (I love the pop-up barrel—makes it easy to clear).

On my person, over the years, I've tried everything from .380 to .40 in semiauto and up to .357 in revolvers, but none of those for very long – just always too heavy and bulky for me. For a few years, it was my Beretta Mod. 70-S in .380 – small enough (and so darned sexy), but a bit on the heavy side. It just became too cumbersome. Then on to tiny compacts like the Glock 42.

But I’ve landed now, for the last several years, on an old-school Smith & Wesson Mod. 37 revolver “Chief’s Special Airweight” in .38 Special. A great little J frame and *very* lightweight. Limited to 5 rounds chambered but I usually carry a 6-rd backup strip. (This revolver is lighter than most of the modern-alloy Lightweight .38 revolvers being made today – I find that amazing. With the standard wood grips, it weighs just 13.3 oz. empty and 15.7 oz. loaded! Decades old technology—go figure).

I keep telling my son (carries a Sig P365 9mm, 12 rd. mag and before that a Glock 17), Once you go wheelgun, you’ll never go back. But he won't hear it – he wants his “stopping power” and “capacity.” And my brother often carries an FN Five-seven! Shee-ite. But for simplicity and ease of use, you can’t beat a revolver. They rarely malfunction: just keep pulling the trigger. I used to love to listen to G. Gordon Liddy go on about the merits of a wheelgun.

Don't get me wrong, I love my semi-autos too—and the bigger calibers. Very much. But for regular carry...

It’s so light and comfortable in an inside-the-waistband holster (just got a new one I really like) I can almost forget I’m carrying it. I usually carry appendix and I can safely move, sit, get in and out of a car or tight restaurant booth with zero problems or discomfort. And it doesn’t print at all.

What do you guys carry? Just curious. Happy to hear your choices and reasoning. I’m probably in the minority, with my small revolver, and it get it; it’s all good.

Thanks! Gary

A few pics.

With Swiss Army Knife for scale:

In holster with backup strip (coins for scale):

And in hand.

Edited by escapement (08/26/19 07:34 PM)