Yes, Northern Michigan has an abundance of wild critters. What I meant was, we don't have poisonous snakes, any "former pet" constrictors, sharks,ect., that live in or around the water. I know that I'm probably over imagining the threat that these creatures pose. Worst I've heard about up here is accidently snagging a muskrat. Mean little S.O.Bs, just like a city rat. Best just to cut the line and send them on their way.
I don't carry on the kayak,yet.
When walking in the woods with my dog, I open carry a Ruger lcrx 3 inch .38+p and a couple of speed loaders of jacketed hp in my pockets. This is mostly for coyotes, skunks, porcupines. My dog is so friendly, "everything" is his friend.My most carried knife on these walks in a stock small gambler, lives in my glove box, easy on/off with the clip. It would probably work on the water, just "want" something new😁.
At this point, I'm really thinking a 10-3, it already has all the good stuff, stainless,thumb notches, and laynard hole, just have to decide on handle material. Might have to email the Capt and see what he has on hand.