Agree 100% Larry.

With my (pretty nice) digital camera years ago, it was all about indirect, but bright sunlight.

I had one of those light-tent setups too, but nothing compared to taking pictures in indirect sunlight.

Taking pictures again recently, but this time with my Android phone, I was applying all the old rules but just not liking the results.

Those pictures above are taken in an almost dark room – a large room with just one shaded lamp turned on, about 4 ft away. No overhead lights, but just a bit of dusk light from a window. (With my digital camera, it would have been so underexposed/ dark that you’d hardly be able to see the knives).

It finally occurred to me: the cameras in these smartphones are so idiot proof, any setup work I do only serves to work against the camera’s mindboggling genius.

The top two are what I call “glamour” shots. Taken at a slight angle with a sort of light glare affect. But it can hide some imperfections when you take shots like that, so I also have more revealing, straight up-and-down shots of all my knives too for insurance purposes. (More like the third picture, but with even more light; taken not for beauty, but for compete detail).

But I do like taking and sharing pictures of my knives. Almost as much as looking at nice pictures of other great knives.

Thanks, Gary

Ps. Nice picture.