Pap:

That was a good score! WOW! 300 pieces of Griswold! WOW again!

I think that I told you in an earlier post, how I got my few pieces. The Truck Stop down on US 59 caught fire and burnt to the ground in the Fall of 1974.

A man came by the Athletic Dorm at SFA and asked if anybody needed a job paying $5 an hour cleaning up the ashes. That was a fortune back then and I volunteered.

I was shoveling ashes into a dump truck when I hit something hard with my shovel. It was the #20 skillet. I had no idea what it really was but I put it into back of my truck and took it home.

I also found a #13 Dutch oven, a #10 Dutch oven, a #911 griddle, a huge #270 griddle, and a #9 skillet.

I still have them all and I’ve used them all. The #20 is only used at Christmas now when everybody comes home, but it went on many trotline trips in my youth and many camping trips when my kids were still at home.

I use the #13 d.o. to fry catfish and the #10 d.o. for beans and stews.

I think my Bride may have married me for the #9 skillet. She has kept it on top of the stove and used it almost every day since I carried her across the threshold.

If we ever split up, we will squander everything else we have over the custody of that #9 Griswold skillet!

Coach