Originally Posted By: LarryWW1246

I have carried a beater Benchmade Griptillian for years. It has 154CM steel, and won't hold an edge worth sharpening.

Looking at their customer service, they will replace the blade for a fee.

The newer steels that they offer for this knife include S30V and 20CV.

The chart in their catalogue shows 20CV as having superior edge holding and corrosion resistance, but not being as tough or strong as the S30V. However, since I am more concerned about edge retention I think I will get a new blade using the 20CV.

However, I wonder if you have seen ANY chipping of the 20CV edge?

Larry

Hi Larry,

It all depends on the specific manufacturer and its preferences in heat treatment for a particular application (knife model).

I made a mistake, it was necessary to more precisely indicate that it was on the knives that Hinderer S35VN was prone to chipping and also to add - at small angles of sharpening (20-25 grad and less). If take, for example S35VN in the treatment of Chris Reeve, she does not give chips, she is plastic enough.

As for the Benchmade, I can not say something about these steels in their performance, because I did not have them and my friends also.

I did not see chips with steel 20СV on knives Hinderer, GrayMan and Linder (Linder use M390, but it's the same thing). But I saw chips on the knives of one local manufacturer, he did 64-65 units of rockwell, then he began to harden 60-62 units and there were no more chips.

Warren - great info, thank you! smile