I have a cornucopia of RMK "USERS", that is a matter of record, including a new "pickled" one for this year! I would not hesitate to use any of them, recommend any of them or argue their merits...."BUT"...(It's been a while...I feel better now)...my number one choice would be the same as Bo's: Model #3-5", HUNTER!
I use a tandem of my #3-5" and 5-5" but, for "hunting" (which is what this build is titled) the #3 far exceeds the #5 for function. I have said a thousand times: "I don't care what we build"...and I still don't! Let me give you some advantages of the #3 over the #5...for "hunting"!
I know there are a lot of seasoned hunters out there. I know there are followers (Like Pappy) of the Model #5. I just deem the Model #5 as a superb "camp" knife not the best "hunting" knife. Here's a couple of points.
Model #3-5" and #5-5" virtually carry, weigh and balance the same. This point is true. Blade design, cutting ability and usage are what's different.
* Model #3 is a "trailing point" blade shape
* A trailing point allows less effort (less "swipes) to remove hide (skin) on game.
* Model #3's tip is more "pointed", allowing a more surgical cut around the anus of whitetail deer, hogs, etc. than the clip point of the #5.
* The sweeping motion, used when cutting with the #3 is more effortless than with the #5.
* Re-sharpening (touching the blade up as you skin, clean and butcher game) is a more flowing motion with the #3.
* The trailing point blade shape (verses the straight point) gives you more cutting surface, therefore less "swipes" to do the same job.
....OK: Nuff' said. Below are photos of my #3 and #5 and I love 'em both....just sayin'
Capt. Chris
PS: Stanaback Special is a great choice but stainless and other standard options puts the price "up there"!...CCS

Attachments
------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-A.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-B.JPG

------Capt. Chris' #3 & #5-5 inch-D.JPG

Edited by Captain Chris Stanaback (02/16/19 11:34 AM)
RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com