I managed to get hold of a nice 12-9 S/S Stag with Nickel Silver Guard (FORWARD curved) just before departing for this Winter at Gt. Barrier Island here in NZ. for past 3x Months

While my Cold Steel LTC Kukri is still my # 1 slasher when clearing the Bush tracks, the #12 has had a good work out.
I use it when just light tidying up is needed when going for a walk rather than dedicated clearing of Gorse etc. The Gorse is hard on the Edge and also on my hands !

I have been doing this pretty much every 2nd day, balanced out with Sea Kayaking on alternate days as I enjoy both. My #25 5 inch is on my Leather belt in Dry pack along with Survival gear in Kayak, i.e. not worn.
For what it is worth, what I have noted over past 3x months..

1/ I always use a wrist loop even when wearing Youngstown gloves for extra control, rather than the extra retention aspect. This is the configuration where the loop goes over the back of hand and then over the thumb, NOT over the wrist as name suggests. I use a loop made of the reflective Goughlans tent guy line available at Outdoor stores rather than Para cord, just in case I drop it in the Bush or River when releasing it in a fall. (it happens)

2/ I have relieved the area in front of Guard both top and bottom, both sides to give more comfort when “Choking up” as this gives me more control and ability to “Wrist Flick” which is especially applicable when cutting lighter grass and reeds. The near 90 degree finish on Guard was irritating the crease in trigger finger. This moderation is hardly noticeable when looking at the Guard, just enough to make a considerable difference in comfort.

I have found it a lovely knife to use and carry through the Bush even though the Stag handles are quite smooth. This would be a issue to me if used without gloves for longer time each day.
I don't want to roughen up Stag with wet/dry paper as I enjoy looking at the Stag as is.

Anyway, just my observations on a lovely Knife.

Edited by needfull things (10/27/18 01:55 AM)