Larry, I'm not sure what you mean about the knives "were not the same as the ones used by the Govt." Other than the rhodium plating that the NASA knives got, and maybe a little larger cavity cutout, I believe the early ones were identical. O1 tool steel and brown micarta. Those early replicas were the same. Even the tall thinner SS hilt.
I don't think it's a matter of giving Randall knives slack, it's just after the first few years they weren't replicas anymore, and they eventually stopped using the replica language.
There are those who are purests and if they admirred the original space knife and wanted one that looked like it....well that's what they would seek out.
I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative, but it seems the discussion has gone on a long time, and some people are purists, I put myself in that place, and from what I gather Ronnie prefers the early Astros too.
True enough about product evolution and feedback over the years making changes. That happens in all industries.
All in all it just makes those early true replicas that much more special. Rare too. I have been watching of late and those mid 60's Astros in brown micarta seem to be as rare as hens teeth.

Richard