Does anyone know when Randall started putting the offset on the spine? Looking at the catalogs, they used the same photo from the beginning until the 26th printing in 1982, then a new photo in 27th printing 1985 with the offset on the spine. The 27th printing, 1985 was the last time that the "replica" reference was used.

It's just odd that Capt Chris noted that:

"The newer Model #17's, despite rounds of disapproval here, were an improved version of the more subtle design on earlier models."

I read in Mr Gaddis' book that the Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper was involved in the design with Mr Randall, and the knives that went into space "WAS the improved version" of earlier designs that Mr Gaddis' illustrated.
To make design adjustments after the fact of history just doesn't make sense, coupled with the claim of it being marketed as a replica.
I agree with you Ronnie, the early version, the replica is the one I would have. From what I have read, the early replica began changing on both the blade and handle in the mid to late '60's right? The late '60's the blade began to look more like a model 15 to me. Did they leave the top edge dull, like the original, or did they start sharpening? Then on the handle butt end they began to square off a former rounded end.
Have you seen any of the early replicas for sale? I think that will be on my dream list. Do you own one Ronnie?
Thanks
Richard