I have extensive usage experience with many models. The Buxton being one of them. I thought it would be a better user than it actually was. It's been many years but if I remember right the blade was a bit light compared to the handle weight due to the large clip cut out and the extra Tang part so it did not chop very well nor did it baton wood very well due to the odd clip. The grind on the knife isn't particularly great for carving or prep either as it's a bit wide kind of like a 14 or 15. The reason I was attracted to the Buxton is that the border patrol handle is the best shape handle you can get.

I did carry around a 18 for a short while but they are extremely heavy and worse yet they are super wide in the handle so they stick out like crazy and that metal is cold as ice when it touches you

The very best Randall for actual all around woods use is a 5-6 with border patrol micarta and a wrist thong. I actually have one on it's way to me that I'm probably selling it's also got stainless and a nickel single hilt and waxed no hone C.

I have had the handle and blade separate on a 28 something I was always afraid of with the full Tang models but it never happened on my Buxton 16SF or 14 or 15. The hidden tang models can withstand way more abuse than you can imagine and you will damage the blade to where it's unusable before the tang breaks. Unless your going to pry something sideways the full Tang won't be stronger and in that event you would need a cheater bar to break the hidden tang I believe.