Re: Hinderer flippers

I handled a couple at the Blade Show, robust enough for me!

Did not buy since I want a tip-up carry on the left side. Sean told me they are working on that, and to keep eyes on the website.

I did notice that the ones I handled did not flip open fully unless a lot of force was put into it. This is in contrast to other makers' knives I have where they use the IKBS bearing system.

I don't know if a maker has to pay for using the IKBS system...? And what that might do to the price of the knife.

Also don't know how well the IKBS system holds up under various loading parameters when the knife is in use. I have not gone looking for any such information, and realize it might hold up very well.

While I might want the Hinderer to be as smooth as the IKBS knives, I would not want to have to flip it repeatedly to get it to "wear in" as a way to reduce friction--to me, that equates to "wear out" in the long run.

Then again, maybe some of the "slick as snot" lubricants would be all that the Hinderer would need to smooth up the action.

Just thinking out loud...any experience from others is welcome as I wait for the lefty version Hinderer to come on the market.

Larry
ABKA #046
RKS #1246