I bought that thread starter Ek #1 from Greg, Mike. That very first "Ek" is a Wall. I wanted authentic original thin 0.125" stock rather than modern common thicker, and most modern steel and most folk's heat treat of same in such a thin and long blade would be fragile.

When you told of that likely O1 big skinner holding up to a kid's use, where we all know boys and men can break anvils, I figured Greg would be my man on this.

I could have specified 1095, or some other known tough, even lower carbon, but Greg was sure he could get me what I wanted in O1, and O1 does take and hold a far better edge. And he nailed it. Sure, it would lose in a vise flex test, but nobody is prying anything with a 7" 0.125" thick blade unless they like to watch things bend. As for hacking, stabbing, carving, it is stiffer and holding up marvelous.

It has definitely showed itself mighty tough in tests which often dent or chip such edges. I could not be more pleased. Greg knows how to make a heck of an edge, and real deal users. This will not be my last from him.

PS- that cited above history link would go a long way in showing what John Ek had, and when, and from where, if any doubt as to model you had.

Edited by Lofty (05/27/18 09:35 PM)