Hey, DS, regarding your friend and the videos...did you two serve together? I enjoyed one of his rubber-hammer-era videos, watching him defeated by a cheap Taiwan copy of a Hinderer medium sized model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW0TVkcBFkw

He would have broken most fixed blades with that test, as he does not play around when digging through a 2x4 (or your equivalent). I found it quite informative, as to what an S35VN blade of that thickness can take, as I was debating buying an XM-18 which is a 5.6oz knife vs my 7.9oz stronger XM-24 knife. And the knife he tested is the Taiwan equivalent of the "smaller" knife.

I can see from his results with a copy, that any worries on my part as to what the actual XM-18 might be able to handle are unfounded. It would be able to handle literally anything which I could do to it. Of course, the XM-18/3.5" is the knife which assured that series' fame and fortune, anyhow, so no true suprise there.

But, if you chat with him, be sure to pass along my thanks.

(and apologies, thought I was adding this to the tough folder thread, but, close enough for government work).

Edited by Lofty (04/23/18 11:09 AM)