You would have thought folks would remember the essential demise of Winchester as a...THE.... giant in the industry turning into a fading away to nothing also-ran, almost overnight, in 1964, from cheapening their entire line....but, Remington and other majors such as Smith and Wesson, simply refused to listen to the wisdom of history.

Sorry about the disappointment, and who would have thought 25yrs ago that a buyer would be able to truthfully say, "yeah, I tried to get a Mossberg, but the dealer tried to sell me a cheap Remington copy of that cool Mossberg"?

Which it is. They jumped right on the bandwagon overnight, as until then, they had resolutely refused to even sell a PG version of their gun, to avoid exactly what was done with the Cruiser.

The Mossberg is a crude but very dependable gun, and essentially an econo copy of a Remington 31 which was dropped to make room for the 870 Wingmaster, the 31 action first copied by High Standard. IF the parts are in-spec when new, a fairly bulletproof see-saw action. Any problem with the gun will always simply be a bad part easily swapped, on their dime aside from shipping there. It really is why I prefer it over even an older 870 nowadays, as no possibility of trapped shells or weak sprung flappers causing a problem in cycling. I adore my 590A1, excellent design Mossberg peep/blade, and stout enough to run the bayonet assault course, and parkerized. Matches my CAR perfectly.

As a PS, you COULD do as I did and blow another $125 on the Shockwave to turn it nearly into the issue whippet by adding the metal milspec trigger group and metal safety button. Some services bought into kits allowing mission specific configurations to be assembled. The LEO barrel/magazine is part of that kitting, and although the pistol grip WAS the normal shorter Cruiser type, am sure some Raptor grips have percolated into the system, by now, individual buys, if nothing else.

Edited by Lofty (04/11/18 11:07 PM)