Most gun manufacturers use aftermarket. They do not make magazines at all. Suchlike Checkmate makes most OEM 1911 mags and marked so after brand name. And they use hybrid design as does most everybody today, a one size fits all that does not work.

And yes, Wayne, the 8rd mags have been a disaster, nothing feeds better than a milspec follower (and milspec feed lips and milspec ball), and runs like a sewing machine quite foreign to most shooters today, if supersmart maker did not "improve" original specs much. Tailor mag design to preferred ammo. See what works, use it, and not some name stamped on bottom, save the "OEM" mags for collectible set if you wish. Even wadcutter magazines may be just the ticket for YOUR ammo choice.

My newer Colt is a jam-o-matic with hybrid OEM Checkmate mags and ball. A switch simply to Checkmate GI mags has it running just as my WWI and WWII 1911s. No double feeds, nose up or down into ramp jams etc...the type jam almost always points directly to problem, and mostly they will point to magazines.

Lot of threads on the subject, but this one hits on many of the cylinders, including later "name" mag designs and problems...even though I muchly disagree with idea a hybrid does EVERYthing well.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513924

Not sure if mentioned in that above thread, but the teat on the hybrid mags is often insufficient to stop the top round from shifting forward as slide hits stop under recoil, the rim squirts past the teat, not just on last round in magazine, and especially when shooting heavier bullets OR higher velocity lighter rounds, hence the problems with many OEM hybrid mags.

The end game is that many folk spend all manner of time and money chasing paper tigers, messing with mysterious extractor tension problems which may or may not exist, polishing breach faces, ramps, even chambers, none of which was done to dead nuts reliable GI guns, when all they need do is experiment a bit as to magazines and ammo selected for those magazines.

My suggestion would be to order a couple of wadcutter, GI, and even hybrid (in unlikely event supplied hybrid not by Checkmate), and play with them and several favorite ammos. You might be suprised.

Edited by Lofty (02/10/18 01:39 PM)