Buck, you’re right about cell phones. They may not have the quality or detail of digital cameras but it seems most people have them which means they’ll be used more often.

I like to set my subjects up at an angle versus horizontal. The knife would look good either way, but placed at an angle makes the shot more interesting. To keep the shot from being too busy, the blades are parallel to the bamboo and the sheaths at another angle. The shot might have looked a little boring if everything was placed at the same angle.

I try to fill the whole frame with whatever I’m shooting and go in as close as I can. Most cell phones will let you get pretty close and still be in focus. You can always crop out unwanted areas.

I like to add interesting items especially if they relate or add color or texture. More than two or three items can clutter the picture and detract from the main subject. If it seems like I have too much extra stuff, I take out one at a time until it looks right.

I’ve seen some great shots on this forum... especially the ones featuring tree stumps, rocks and other outdoor settings.