I actually found the thread, which in reading first posts was actually its own subforum until buried in knife photos for some reason, already resuscitated recently by someone else, which is the only reason I found it.

As for the documentary, I adore good craftsmanship documentaries, and this is one of them, even if it covered a cobbler or wheelwright.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKnLe7tYmU
A knifemaker, even better!

However, as with most stuff on the net regarding Ruana, actual info was sparse, and I thought it would be good for folk to actually KNOW something about Ruana. I think most folk think it some sort of factory which turns out second rate crude cutlery, and simply pass along that assumption. Nothing could be further from the truth.

They are just solid, good, Sarah plain and tall, in their standard stock offerings. The custom orders another matter.

I have a "custom" sheath due in this week, small shops so easy to deal with, with answers to questions easily answered in a simple yes or no. All I had to do was ask, mail a check, and sheath is on the way. All I asked for was a normal sheath minus loop, flap, and snap, a simple blade cover so that I can carry far more often simply stuck under belt or IWB.

The knife has been used daily since posting of giving it a whirl, first rate cutter for woods work, strips bark with alacrity, powers through stripped limb stubs taking four hard tries and three screeching halts with not a glint yet to edge, and still zips open mail as if a box cutter.

Good solid knife. I have the 21A on order, along with a modern 10B old smokie, as it appears my old one might be getting too valuable for a utility knife, anymore.

They do a good job filling the "user" market, as they always have. Personally, I have renewed appreciation for them after reading Ed Fowler's comments. The knives have actually progressed as for cutters since Rudy's time.

Vic, Mark, and Mike love to hunt and flyfish, and use the knives, keeping in mind the ONLY knives they came of age with were old ones of which they had plenty of experience using....so, they simply continued making them, but made them cut even better. Not as if they make a secret line of older style for own personal use, and foist a new version on outside buyers, nor are the later style of grinds less labor intensive, but instead, take much more time.

Personally, I am suprised by how tough the skinner. Usually, if it says "skinner" from most anyone, stripping limbs is an excellent recipe for chipped or busted edge. I originally ordered a 21A as an all purpose, but was called and asked if I wanted an available 14B. Glad I took Mike up on the offer.

As for materials, such as elk, it says not only totally made in USA, but made out west, in Montana. Provencial in the best sense of the word.

(I still have a great amount of trouble keeping A, B, AC, alpha suffixes straight, so please excuse mistakes).

Edited by Lofty (05/16/17 09:04 PM)