I like how they deal with wire edges and too acute an angle, which many instructions rarely bother to mention, and the folded or dented wire edge the cause of more disappointment, resharpening, and calling a knife "no good/won't hold an edge" than any other cause.

HOWEVER, as with most old old sharpening advice, they assume all anyone has is a stone. Most folk today in the USA own not one stone, and use some gizmo. And the assumption one has only a stone leads to a convex edge (which Ruanas have) being flat stoned, which is ok for a touch-up, but counterproductive to the convex edge when used for much more than that.

Stropping removes a wire edge, and stropping fine for most touch-up at home, as is a smooth steel being used to iron out small dinks and dents in the edge, prior to stropping.

Both stones and strops have their fans for everything from initial grind to finest final edge, and I will stay out of that, but, no sense sharpening and removing steel when a smooth steel and strop is all it needs.

My "steel" is actually the smooth polished shank of a large diameter titanium bolt, but, same thing as for use, and it does not rust in the middle of nowhere, along with the blade.

Back to Ruana, rather than sharpening, I would discuss their grind and edging as done currently on the newer 14.

The hollowgrind is more a flat angled grind for lower half of primary grind, leaving edge strong, and the convexing is actually done by multiple straight passes down the edge on both sides with a wheel, gradually curving edge in to centerline.

It leaves one able to strop or stone, pick one. I like the strength of the edge as supplied, especially on a heavy skinner seen more as a general chore knife, and have no intention of weakening it with a flat grind sharpening job to fine edge.

OH!.....so much concentration of late info on shop, details of actual newer knife might be good...

Spine and ricasso bottom are rounded, same multiple lengthwise passes arching those surfaces as used in edging.

Weight is 7.1 oz bare, 11.1 (or somesuch, under 12 for sure) oz. in the heavily built heavily protective flap sheath which would be right at home on a brown pre-War USMC Sam Browne set. It may not be lovely, but as with knife, built to last and do its job, carry and protect. Small brass nails are for safety to prevent knife cutting through welt, which it could do, real easy. Retention is quite good even minus flap. This sheath for outdoors outdoors.

Edited by Lofty (05/16/17 12:49 AM)