It is one of the better outside (state run?) truly artful documentaries I have seen in a very long time. They captured "old shop" of any variety better than most any film of late, and seems somebody on the film crew also knew and loved old shops. It could have been filmed in Europe both for the quality and the grimy small paned shop and workers. Watching that documentary had me smelling oil and metal for an hour after the video ended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKnLe7tYmU

Sadly, the mortise cutter for the stag which Rudy built by hand finally died a year or two back, the twin cutters finally lost too much tooth.

Rudy was not just "clever with his hands", he was a mechanical genious, building his own equipment. I would imagine the cutters started as plow discs, or from a piece of mine equipment, or maybe even something from a sawmill. If he needed it, he made it.

I guess you guys caught the hi-tech guards on the grinders? Shows in the still shot above, as well. I think their Singer dates from something like 1899. And the row of files, with artful worn stag handles.

Edited by Lofty (05/13/17 11:38 AM)