Which knife did Ross Allen own/carry/use? There appear to be two schools of thought. The RMK catalog states that Mr. Allen carried a Model 5. There is, however, also an advertisement for the "Ross Allen Special" which appears to show a photo of a Model 3-7". This RMK or dealer ad is reproduced on page 2 of the "Ross Allen" thread on this site (link above).

I did some digging and found additional information which may help clarify the situation (or not).

As per the RMK catalog, Mr. Allen carried a Model 5. Some folks have commented/opined that it was believed to be a 5-6".

The ad, however, depicts what looks to be a Model 3-7" with stag handle and finger grooves, and describes it as a "Ross Allen Special".

I located some pertinent information on another knife blog (i.e., Blade Forums). Page 27 of the "Show Us Your Randalls" thread features a posting from a woman whose husband worked for Mr. Allen in Silver Springs in the early 1960s. She posted photos of an RMK with sheath and grey stone, seeking an ID of the knife model (sorry, but my photo transfer skills are virtually non-existent, else I'd copy the photos to here). The knife looks to be a Model 3-7" with stag handle and finger grooves. Here are her comments:

"Can anyone help with a model designation for this Randall? Ross Allen gave it to my husband when he worked for Ross at Silver Springs, about 1962 - 1964. He wore it when he presented shows at the 1964 World's Fair, and used it extensively when hunting deer and hogs here in Fl. The blade is 7 inches, overall length is 12 inches. Both the knife and sheath have the Randall logo, the sharpening stone is the original."

The consensus among the forum members was that the knife was a RMK Model 3-7".

She later noted that,

"There were no numbers on either the sheath or on the knife itself, just "Randall Made, Orlando, Florida". I'm thinking you're right about it being a Model 3, but Ross must have had it customized with the finger grooves. He had them made for all the guys who did lecturing for him way back then, and they were all alike."

The knife pictured in the photos certainly looks like the "Ross Allen Special" shown in the RMK ad.

So maybe Mr. Allen owned and used BOTH a Model 3 and a Model 5?
Or maybe the Model 5 was his field knife, and the flashier "Ross Allen Special" Model 3 was his show knife?
Or maybe the Model 5 was his personal knife, and the "Ross Allen Special" Model 3 was used solely to reward his top associates/employees?

It would be interesting to know whether Mr. Allen ordered his knives directly from RMK or through a dealer. If the latter, it is certainly easy to visualize an enterprising dealer, after processing orders for several identical Model 3 RMKs, taking it upon himself to christen the thusly configured Model 3 as the "Ross Allen Special" in an effort to capitalize on Mr. Allen's fame and drum up additional business. Count me in...here's my check for $35!

It would also be interesting to know whether the "Ross Allen Special" advertisement is an RMK ad or a dealer (authorized or not) ad? Has anyone made a determination of this?

Edited by rfcarlin (02/17/17 02:30 PM)
RKCC #622