Had mentioned the first below video, I believe, but both videos show live weight or live load tests on various locks, and the humble lockback still king.

It matters not if various knives from various manufacturers tested as in first video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KmHfbG7z7g

Or if most of the trick locks tested are from one manufacturer, SPYDERCO (which is only reason I added this to what SHOULD be a photo gallery thread of Spyderco, as it would be nice if I knew how to embed this in the gallery),...the ho-hum lockback is king.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxHUXAFVs4

And will point out the older PacSalt/Endura and Salt 1/Delica blades in plain zytel/frn handles are/were even stronger at blade root and pivot than the new steel lined Endura/Delica 4 line. The new line not about product improvement, but about improved profit margin with more modular design and less waste with flavor of month changes requiring only light zytel interior skeletonized scales be recycled.

The only way the hollowback new scales over thin stamped steel liners could be stronger would be in a tension load attempting to tear knife in half. A compression/stab load in real world would immediately transition to closing force and, again, the old blade style would hold even longer than the new. And the solid zytel near unbreakable at any temperature at which a human could live without extensive protective equipment. I featured these Salt knives for a reason. The only way I could see one failing is either twisting load so severe that blade pivot heads pop off, or a force so strong trying to bend blade back over top of handle that the lock pivot be physically ripped out the top of the handle. Either, it seems, would be "easier" than attempting to force the blade closed.

It would have been interesting to see the Salt H1 steel blade tested, quite sure the blade would not have failed...and perhaps zytel handle would have bent to inline with winch cable and torn or not torn in half at max winch output. In any case, it would have taken some doing until handle distorted enough to pop the lock loose, if it would have happened at all,.... the cable directly over lock pivot meaning trying to bend/compress two 1" long slabs of zytel plastic bearing material down their strongest axis. Personally, I think the winch would have lost with old style plus H1. In the real world, with a person leaning on end of handle, right back to handle distorsion comments and taking some doing.

Cool stuff. Cool test. Cool gear.

Edited by Lofty (08/31/16 11:52 PM)