Originally Posted By: Lofty
I know this is supposed to be about knives rather than provenance, but I can have a knife of granddaddy's and know from stories, and write down those stories, or even have granddaddy write down those stories, and it might be I lied or he lied. I could even have photos of him with a similar knife, and for all we know, he borrowed a friend's knife for photos and then liked it so much that he bought one like it....it is all about what buyer believes, wants to be true, and is willing to pay for....still very subjective, and only changed by degrees as evidence mounts.

Back to the nice old knife, clearly and simply a difference of opinion on what that bar height might be, and it keeps sidetracking a really interesting thread.

"Wants to be true"? Seriously? You can believe in unicorns if you like, but that doesn't make them real. A claim was made about the "provenance", use, intent, etc. of this particular type of knife. It is pretty simple really so I don't see why you are having such a hard time grasping the concept.

Did you read the article on provenance I linked? That would probably clear it up for you.

That being said, I asked a simple question about what is a nice example of the type, not for me, but nice nonetheless. I was lambasted as though my question was without merit and how dare I question the claimant. Not only on this forum, but on another forum I am told, where "historical accuracy" is supposedly held to the highest standard. If someone is going to claim John Wayne carried a knife, show me how you came to that conclusion.

There is an old adage, "Buy the knife not the story". That often holds true, but if you can back the story up, it is even better.

BUY-SELL-TRADE