Originally Posted By: Chief
Originally Posted By: JerryG
So what options are ya thinkin of on that one Chief?? As I've said, too big for my uses but I'd like to see where you're headed.

I would put a nickel silver hilt on it just because I like it better than brass.
A border patrol handle / no butt cap
Thong hole
Red or black micarta
Spacers to match micarta / thong also (if possible)

I like that it's a 3/16 blade
Lots of folks commenting on how big knives aren't all that for cleaning small fish.
I disagree (go figure) when I'm cleaning fish I find the thickness & height of the blade to be more important than the length of the blade.
When I do the skin side of the filet I am mostly holding the skin down at the tail end, & pushing the blade with minimal sawing motion of the blade.
If another 1-3 inches of blade is sticking out on either side of the filet so what.
I would rather clean a small fish with a big knife than a big fish with a small knife.
Keep in mind if you are fishing & camping, staying over night at a camp, you will be cooking. This knife works in the kitchen as well.

So Chief, are you leaning toward the Model 4 with a larger blade, like the one you posted on the second page? would that knife have a top edge sharpened, with the embellishments you suggested?

max
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

RKCC #502