Originally Posted By: oldguy
I don't think that the RMK operation would want to get involved furnishing statements to or for the Federal Government. If you think they are behind now just wait until they have to deal with the ivory statements and all of the record keeping and examinations of the past records looking for ivory handled knives. There is just too much liability with this idea. But in the end the shop will do what it wants to do that is best for them and getting the government involved in your business is not in anyone's best interest. oldguy

I don't think I was clear in my suggestion. RMK's would not have to search any records or provide any documents specific to any particular knife. ALL they would have to do is document their PAST POLICY of requiring a certificate of origin with ivory for all orders for ivory handled RMK's. Then anyone with an ivory RMK could obtain a copy of THAT Policy statement, which could be posted on RMK's website for pdf download. If that policy is true, then ALL RMK's with ivory would have documentation that the ivory is "pre-ban" or "pre-convention". It really could be that simple to satisfy the US F&W.
Think about it this way, IF RMK's never made an ivory handled knife that wasn't certified "pre-ban" then ALL RMK's with ivory handled MUST include "pre-ban" ivory. It would then be up to US F&W to prove otherwise (for example if they could show it was re-handled after the fact by someone other than RMK's)or if they could prove it was a fake Randall.