Knife, stone & sjeath are all original and the "package" is complete. Buck...You are on the right trail. Here's some of the characteristics to look for, and helpful hints about "aging" your prized Randall knife. Check out these "nuances" about this knife. (and incidently: No one has even come up with the correct "decade", except in generalities) Not 60's...not 70's...It was completed in 1984!
Recently I spoke with one of our members about "sheath" recognition. Here's what this Model #1-7" shows us:
* Johnson "roughback" sheath (Also called a "butterfly-stitched" sheath)....More importantly...and correctly, it is a Maurice Johnson butterfly-stitched roughback sheath. Maurice's son, Johnny Johnson, used an entirely different maching. Johnny's sewing machine was not a "tight stich machine". Both machines were leased. Johnny's machine was never even delivered to Johnson's Leather Shop, in Castleberry, Fl. until late 1985 or 1986. After setup it was put into service. The year was 1986. Taking a look at this Model #1's sheath one can easily see that the stitching is "tight".
Maurice Johnson's machine was still used throughout the 1980's but usually as a back up when Johnny's machine was being serviced or Johnny was unavailable. It is impossible to say that, just because a knife & sheath combination featured a tight-stitched Johnson roughback sheath, the combo was made prior to 1986. It is "not" imprudent to say that any knife & sheath combo with the longer stitched sheath could "not" have been produced prior to 1986!
I'll see if I have examples of the later stitching...but here'a a close up of the sheath for this cambo we are disuccing now.
Best, Capt. Chris

Attachments
------This Old Randall (E).jpg

------This Old Randall (D).jpg

RKS #016
NRA Lifetime Member
CAPTSTANABACK@aol.com